(2) Communicate the big ideas.
(3) Oversee the implementation of the big ideas.
(4) Capture your best practices and lessons and cycle them back through the system to help refine your big ideas.
(5) Don’t be afraid to disregard rank when someone exhibits characteristics you value, such as brains, judgment, or a great work ethic. Tap into their strengths and solicit their careful thinking regardless of where they fall in the chain of command.
(6) Present yourself modestly, use humor, and show consideration for those around you.
(7) Mentor the next generation of leaders.
* Adapted from Max Boot’s review of All In: The Education of General David Petraeus, by Paula Broadwell, with Vernon Loeb, in the January 21, 2012 edition of The Wall Street Journal.